This week, Tafsirul, a designer from my team asked me how to use Font Awesome icons in Photoshop. At first, I was a bit surprised thinking about what might be the issue here that was causing him trouble. But then I noticed that, although it is clearly instructed in the website, if someone goes to Font Awesome Homepage, it gets a bit confusing to find out the instruction page. I felt like sharing the process here so that others can do it easily as well.
- Download the latest Font Awesome pack from http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/
- Unzip the package and install FontAwesome.OTF (the font format that is supported in both Windows and Mac)
- Go to Font Awesome cheat-sheet page at http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/cheatsheet/ where there is a list of all Font Awesome icons, corresponding CSS classes and the Unicode representations
- Ignore the CSS class and the Unicode part, just select the icon you want to use from the list (double click on a icon to select quickly) and copy it
- Create a text layer in Photoshop or Illustrator, and paste the icon
That’s it. Easy cheesy!